Voki

Thursday 27 March 2014

Week 5 Assignment 1 - Digital Technology 3 - Prezi



Hi and welcome to my week 5 blog.  This week I have put together a ‘Prezi’ to share with colleagues.  Prezi is a digital tool that allows presenters to engage and captivate their audience through strong visual themes using photos, videos and amazing colours.




Source: Prezi.com



1.   I previously facilitated Community Coach Training Programs (CCTP) for the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) Active-after School Communities (AASC) program where I presented their ‘CHANGE IT’ philosophy using ‘PowerPoint’.  Prezi has enabled me to further explore and change the concept in my own interpretation that is worded more closely to all facilitators, other than just coaches.  Prezi has enabled me as a presenter to highlight and target each aspect (letter of the acronym) of the ‘CHANGE IT’ philosophy to make the message clearer. 
 
 
 For Example this is a copy of the AASC ‘CHANGE IT’ diagram pasted into a Power Point presentation.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 Source: Australian Sports Commission, AASC program
 
 

2.   In our Pedagogical content Knowledge course last week a discussion in class provided a spark within me to write something down in my notepad about ‘CHANGE IT’ and how I could apply it as a Pre-serive teacher.  The Prezi you have just viewed is a result of that.

 

3.   The ‘CHANGE IT’ philosophy is one of the best tools I have used as a facilitator and as an educator of young children.  I thought sharing this great tool with those of you who may not have had the chance to see or use it previously.   Those of you whom have seen or used ‘CHANGE IT’ previously may now re-interrupt the philosophy and relate to the “changes” I have made.

 

Prezi

I found Prezi to be a great tool, however like all new things it takes a little time to find your bearings.  I remember going to Youtube and entering Prezi in and watching the official Prezi tutorial and from then I was captivated by the visual wonder.  I immediately decided that Prezi was the perfect medium to present my adaptation of the ‘CHANGE IT’ philosophy.   

 

Plusses, Minuses and Interesting

I have listed below a number of items about the Prezi when looking through a PMI perspective.  I consider the Prezi to be highly valuable in facilitating any type of lesson or workshop to all learners of any age. 

 
Table 1: PMI creating a Prezi:                            

Plus
Minus
Interesting
Easy set up
Possibly cost, however $159US is reasonable for the product
This product is marketed towards business for presentations
Quick
Convincing your organisation it’s a product that will pay for itself over free Power Point software.
How quickly anyone can create an amazing presentation.
Fun
 
Looks great
 
 
A variety of Designs
 
 
Anyone can create a video - tutorials if required
 
 
Great for sharing and creating ideas
 
 
endless topics and KLA's
 
 


SAMR model  - Prezi

Prezi as a digital tool captures learners through the amazing colours and visuals.  Prezi in my opinion provides a clear pathway into the SAMR model of ‘Enhancement’ and Transformation’ in two ways.  Firstly it captures the facilitator, in this case me to demonstrate the effectiveness of the product and how it can provide the necessary tools to present my message clearly, professionally and visually stimulating.  Secondly, Prezi provides learners with the opportunity to learn about a particular topic, including an opportunity to possibly use Prezi in presenting their work back to the facilitator.  For example a student might submit an assessment item using a Prezi presentation.  

Let’s take a look at the following SAMR table and look at how Prezi provided me and the learner with the opportunity to further enhance and transform our knowledge.

 
Table 2: SAMR  Prezi:   

SAMR
Facilitator
Learners
Substitution
Watch a Youtube official tutorial video on using Prezi.
 
Learners watch the presentation.
 
Augmentation
Use Prezi product and tools to enter presentation information.
Students follow the presentation and are able to zoom in on a specific point or topic for further comprehension. 
Modification
 Select and/or design a theme. Modify content to suit the overall presentation and design.
Learners are able to acquire information on the topic, then go away and present their findings using a Prezi. 
Redefinition
Create features to your presentation that enhance the visual appeal through the use of a mind map and photos, music or videos in the one display.
Learners are able to incorporate the Prezi product into their own presentations and assessment displays.
 

 
I had a great time putting this presentation together.  Prezi provided me with a new and exciting tool to develop my thoughts on a concept that I have previously delivered and facilitated for many learners over a number of years.  I think the Prezi product has provided me with an insight into my interests as a contemporary learner, whilst at the same time providing an impressive visual and informative presentation that caters for the 21st century learner.  Prezi is now added to my list of tools I look forward to using again and again.

 

Geoff

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. thanks Geoff
    Another great post!
    I like the feel of your blog. The font size and formatting seems to suit the target audience and this would probably work well in a classroom setting.
    Cost is always an issue.
    I wonder if the paid version works faster than the freeware?

    ReplyDelete