Voki

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Week 4 Assignment 1 - Digital Tool 6 - Digital Video

Welcome to my week 4 blog.  This week I would like to share an animated video I have put together as a digital tool for my 21st century classroom.

I found a great website to help design my video.

Please sit back and enjoy the next two minutes and eight seconds as we discover the story of 'Barry' the "little green" man from Mars and he's sidekick Robot 'Ricky' Earth Adventure.



My video presentation supports my pedagogical approach to provide a classroom which captures the attention of all learners.  My goal in using this medium is to provide each learner with an opportunity to engage in:

  • Visuals - through an animated video presentation
  • Language - audible sounds through speech, including narrative and dialogue
  • Story - humour and fun with animated characters, and
  • High order thinking - generating questioning, group activities with a range of alternate endings.
During the design of the video I used a number of tools provided by the 'Go-animation' website and dashboard.  I found this to be a great site for anyone and I will look to continue the high order thinking process with students. I will discuss this in further detail shortly, when I look to illustrate my examples using the SAMR model.  However, my goal is to have students add their 'role plays' to the 'Go-animation' website and complete the story of 'Barry and Ricky's Earth Adventure'.  I consider my pedagogical approach here will be one which will be beneficial, supportive and effective for the contemporary learner. 

I now want to draw your attention to the following 'Screen Captures' I conducted during the design faze of my video.  I want to quickly highlight the simplicity and amazing tool this website provides.

How to add a background.

 How to select a character


 Adding Voice or sound to characters 
  

 
 
 
The PMI table below highlights the Pluses, Minuses and some Interesting observations I found creating a Digital Video.
Table 1: PMI creating a Digital video:                            
 http://goanimate.com/
 


Plus

Minus

Interesting

Easy set up

Cost

This product is marketed towards business for presentations

Quick

Access and restrictions

How quickly anyone can create an mazing presentation.

Fun

Sharing video if a 'Free' user

 

Looks great

 

 

A variety of Designs

 

 

Anyone can create a video - tutorials if required

 

 

Great for sharing and creating ideas

 

 

endless topics and KLA's

 

 
 
The SAMR model and how it can relate to the classroom I will be facilitating using my digital video.
The following SAMR model will address the questions and activities raised in the video for the students to think about and how they look to complete those tasks.  Earlier I highlighted that I would like to incorporate a high order of thinking from this video where learners would be required to create their scenes within the 'Go-animation' website. 


SAMR

Digital Video

Substitution

Students watch the video and understand the content.

 

Augmentation
students follow instructions from video and form groups and roles of three characters 

Modification

students create their own understanding on the story.  Learners create three more scenes to conclude the story as a role play for the class

 

Redefintion

Students access the Go-animation website to create their prior scenes into the same format presented in the video.  Learners will explore the functions of the website and incorporate their previous work into a digital medium.

 
I have thoroughly enjoyed creating this video and the potential this medium has to effectively capture the minds and interests of the contemporary learner.  The video as a pedagogical tool enables me as a facilitator to access mobile learners wherever they are, connects the classroom outside of the school, allows learners to personalize their work and be creative.   I look forward to utilizing these tools in my future teaching roles and attempt to facilitate a learning environment that is contemporary and utilises the digital resources that we now live in.
Geoff
 
 
 
 
















1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great post Geoff
    I really like the way you added the screen shots to support the audience. Overall your thinking and technical skills was right on the money.
    It would be interesting to see any logistics required to make it happen for a whole class.
    Would you like to show the class this week how you made it?

    ReplyDelete